Sat, Oct 21|
Cagle Recreation Area
Camping at Cagle Recreation Area of Sam Houston National Forest.
Time & Location
Oct 21, 2023, 2:00 PM CDT – Oct 22, 2023, 12:00 PM CDT
Cagle Recreation Area, FM 1375 West, New Waverly, TX 77358, USA
About the Event
Coordinators: Amanda Davis and Sandy Beatty
Ages: All ages
For questions and comments, please use this forum: https://www.thehomeschoolcouncil.org/forum/chc-camping-opportunities
General details regarding our visit:
Amanda has reserved site 5 for her family in Loop SWGU at Cagle Recreation Area of Sam Houston National Forest. The only night with available sites is Saturday, October 21. So, we will only be able to camp one night. Reservations can be made at http://www.recreation.gov or by calling 877-444-6777.
North of Houston, Texas, near New Waverly use Interstate Highway 45 northbound exit #102 or #103 southbound at state highway FM-1375. Go West approx. 5 miles. Turn left at large Cagle Recreation Area sign.
Campsite/Screened Shelter Information:
- Each site allows two tents with up to 8 people. Campsites have full hook ups. Restrooms with flush toilets, sinks and hot showers are nearby.
- Cagle Recreation Area is nestled among the pines of the Sam Houston National Forest. This area is covered with beautiful large pine and hardwood trees. Swimming is not allowed, but fishing, hiking, picnicking and shoreline wading are sure to provide plenty of fun for kids.
What to bring:
Typical camping equipment: tent, air mattress or cots, cooking utensils, etc.
- Check in time for the campsite is 2:00pm.
- Set up camp
- Meet at the lake for wading and fishing. (Bring your own poles, bait, etc.) Children under 17 may fish without a license. Please read up on the rules and regulations for more information on fishing.
SATURDAY Night :
- Dinner together as a group, please bring your own food.
- Campfire? Currently, the area is under a burn ban so we might not be able to have a campfire or cook on a wood or charcoal grill. Only gas and propane grills, lanterns and stoves are allowed.
- Break down camp
- 2 mile hike
- Check out is at 12:00 pm.