Mon, Feb 26|
Book Club 6th-7th grade: Gentle Ben by Walt Morey
Time & Location
Feb 26, 2024, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM CST
Juergen's, 26026 Hempstead Rd, Cypress, TX 77429, USA
About the Event
Coordinator: Jennifer Ochoa
Grades: 6th-7th grade
Book: Gentle Ben by Walt Morey
For questions and comments, please use this forum: https://www.thehomeschoolcouncil.org/forum/book-club
The Alaskan wilderness is a lonely place for Mark Andersen, especially after the death of his older brother, Jamie. But in time Mark finds someone else to love--Ben, an Alaskan brown bear so huge that no one else dares come near him. Gentle Ben has been a favorite of readers of all ages for 25 years, and is a timeless story of a rare friendship. An ALA Notable Book.
Disclaimers about book’s content: no
Questions for students:
- Mark would like to own Ben. What do you think he would do with Ben? What would be some difficulties of owning a bear?
- Do you think Mark’s idea for saving Ben by making it look as if he escaped is a good plan? Why or why not?
- Do you think Mark will ever complain about the work that it takes to care for Ben? Why or why not? Have you ever cared for a pet? Did it require more work than you anticipated?
- Ben was not experienced living in the wild. Why is this not a problem for Ben?
- What was Mr. Andersen’s reaction to seeing Ben on the island? Why is he concerned that Mark not see him?
- Do you think the Andersens’ plan to keep Ben near their cabin will be successful? Why or why not?
- How can Mark be assured that no one will come hunting for Ben in the future?
Materials students need to bring:
Book for reference, pencils, crayons or markers.